The Mode function in Excel is a statistical function that returns the most frequently occurring number from a list.
The syntax for the Mode function is:
=MODE(number1, number2, ...)
Number refers to the range of cells that contains the list you want to find the mode value within. The Mode function accepts up to 255 different lists. The lists can be entered as range names, cell references or as arrays.
Using the Mode FunctionTo find the number that occurs most frequently in the list below:
1. Select the cell where you want the result to appear. In this example cell D2
2. Click the Formulas tab on the Ribbon
3. Click the More Functions button > Statistical to see the list of statistical functions in Excel
4. Select Mode from the list
5. Select cells A2:A8 on the spreadsheet to enter the range in the dialogue box
6. Click OkThe answer is 3. The full formula can be seen in the Formula bar.
The Mode function in Excel can also be used with a list of dates, hours or minutes to find the one that appears the most. Use the Median function to find the middle number in a list.
Find more Microsoft Excel functions.